Friday, January 16, 2015

Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve


I have written a number of posts where I've talked about all the challenges that we face dealing with our son's significant developmental delays. Keeping a positive mental attitude has been the greatest aid in keeping us going and keeping us hopeful of a brighter tomorrow.

I have been somewhat involved with the Napoleon Hill Foundation for a few years now, but it wasn't until I wrote my last post on October, that I realized that many of Napoleon Hill's keys to success are being constantly implemented on my family's life. As I wrote about the difficulties my son had matching the skills of his peers -and how I used to get sad and feel self-pity thinking I had in front of me a situation I could not control; and how, I slowly began to overcome my doubts and started to believe more in my son, in God, and all the resources we had available to us- I realized how much Napoleon Hill's philosophy was helping me help my son.

Coincidentally, for this 2015, the Napoleon Hill Foundation is writing on their weekly Ezine children stories (literature) that relate to Napoleon Hill's keys to Success. This was to me, another "sign" that the philosophy can very well be applied to children, to children like mine. I wanted more of that food. I wanted to learn more about the philosophy, and I wanted to become a lot more disciplined, too. You see, I have so many ideas to help out my son and many other parents around world, but I have struggled putting my ideas to work. Procrastination and not having a set schedule to organize my everyday life was getting the best of me, so looking for help I decided to start a Distance Learning Course with the Napoleon Hill Foundation.

The first week, we had to decide on our Major Definite Purpose. I knew what it was, but the necessary steps to accomplish it were vague. I never put too much thought into it, let alone write about it. But this time, the course required that I explained it, and by writing down my purpose and my plan to accomplish it, it became more clear. Realizing all the work and time required to accomplish my goal, it became clear to me that if I were to continue the way I had, I wouldn't get too far, or it would take me longer.

Like I said, I'm not as productive when I don't have schedules/deadlines, so I had to start there. Who says stay-at-home moms don't need schedules? And by that, I don't mean just writing down the Pediatrician appointments, school meetings, soccer practice... I mean, having a set schedule, from the moment I wake up, to the moment I go to bed. From the weekly time I have to set out to work on my blog, to read, to spend just in myself, to the time I need to spend sitting down (or running around) with my children and forget about everything else. From the time I need to spend doing house chores, groceries and cook, to the doctor and therapists appointments, and to the time I have to invest to accomplish my Major Definite Purpose. Of course there is time for improvisation, too -that free time where nothing is scheduled and I can just be spontaneous and do what I want... or what is needed.

Kids like Patrick, as it also happens with kids who have Autism, benefit significantly from schedules. As a matter of fact, not having a schedule on their lives makes them uneasy and uncooperative. I have known this for awhile but I don't know why on earth it took me this long to do something about it. But we are on tract now. I'm wearing the Positive Mental Attitude hat, and this time I'm actually working towards my goal, too. You will hear from me more often, and you will see good things are coming for the Ocular Motor Apraxia community. If you want to get involved, just send me an email, because I will need help! I'm committed. My son is my motive, and I'm going to make it happen, because like Napoleon Hill said: Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.

Cheers to a better, brighter and healthier 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a question or a message!