Saturday, October 12, 2013

I would have never guessed it!

A few months ago, a friend from college came to USA on a tour that included New York and Washington, DC. Since I moved to this country 7 years ago, I rarely get to see friends from my hometown or from college, so I was super excited to see her while she was in town. We were able to spend almost a whole day together. We took her to see the monuments (my husband loves giving a monument tour to friends and family), I brought her to my house and we had lunch nearby, and we also enjoyed a stroll with the kids in a wonderful evening in Washington, DC. It was so much fun to see an old friend, but it was also a very comforting visit, here is why:

We studied Communications together, we were in the same class for 4 years. Anyone you ask, they will tell you she was one of the smartest girls in the class. She had briefly lived in United States, so she speaks both English and Spanish. She lost her mother at a young age, but if anything, it gives the impression that such experience made her acquire a "motherly" attitude towards her friends: always looking out for everyone, and always willing to give you a hand. She is a good speaker. Never afraid to stand in front of an audience and talk, and she always has something to say, as she is a very well informed woman. She loves to travel around the world, and enjoys her current job as wedding planner at the Palace Resort in Cancun, Mexico. I was very impressed to hear the jobs she has held since she left college, and overall I could say she is having a very successful and happy life.

She asked me if I was planning on teaching my kids both English and Spanish, to what I said yes, and I added about how we put a temporary hold on Patrick, because he has speech delay, so I'm mostly interested in getting him to say basic things in our home's primary language (English). Then she said the words I never imagine I would hear from her: I had speech delay when I was a kid.

Then she went on to telling me about her numerous speech therapies and occupational therapies, all the medical appointments, the things she couldn't do as a child, her fine motor skills issues, her development delays... and all her challenges. The more she talked, the more I could relate -or Patrick, for that matter. She was familiar with all the things I told her about him, and I just couldn't believe she was telling me she went through all that herself. She, the girl that has absolutely no problem giving a public speech (and is good at it), the girl who is successful in her Public Relations job providing costumer service in an international arena.

She gave me so much hope. I would have never guessed it. How's it possible that she had so much trouble (medically speaking) growing up when she was a child, but now there is no resemble of it? What developmental delays? I could easily joke (not really) that she was actually way ahead than most in my class. She looks and is perfectly healthy now.

One day, my little boy will be a grown up man, and will tell a friend about his developmental delays and the medical issues he had as a child, and the friend he is talking to, will look straight at him, with a sincere surprised expression in his face and say: I would have never guessed it! I know in my heart this will be possible one day. At moments I felt like I was kind of hoping too much for Patrick and therefore expecting too much from him, but she overcame her obstacles, and the end results are priceless and flawless. Now, more than ever, I'm determined to help Patrick overcome his very own obstacles, because thanks to God they are temporary.

Cheers to you, my dear friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a question or a message!