Monday, October 7, 2013

Preschool Update

Patrick has been in school for one month, so I figured it was time to give an update.

The basics:
  • Patrick attends school Mondays from 9:00-11:30 am, and Tuesday-Friday from 9:00-12:15 pm.
  • The bus picks him up around 8:35 am, in front of my house. Only preschool children are in it, and there are 2 adults (the driver and another lady that makes sure the kids are behaving). On Mondays, he gets dropped off around noon, and T-F, around 12:50 pm.
  • He eats one snack everyday, and T-F he also gets lunch.
  • There are 7 children in his special class, including him, and all are around 3 years of age. They are attending from various reasons, ranging from a few developmental delays (like Patrick), to other medical issues like Down Syndrome.
  • The school is only couple miles from my house, and is part of Fairfax County Public School.
  • The teacher and the parents have a communication system in which we use a notebook to write any notes, questions or concerns. Patrick is the transporter taking the notebook from school to home and back the next day.


 The cons:
  • It was painful to say good-bye the first day. And the second and third. I could tell he had been crying at school, so that was making me sad as well. 
  • Patrick is coming home really hungry, which tells me he is not eating his lunch. As you may know, nutrition is something we have been dealing with, so it's very important that he eats well during the day!
  • He takes a quick nap in the bus on the way home, which means he doesn't want to take a nap in the house anymore! 
  • The first couple of weeks, his behavior had changed for the worst. He would come home and try to hit his brother, be extremely loud, messy... luckily it seems to had been just a phase, that hopefully won't comeback.
  • The worst part is, I can't see what he is doing at school!! I would love to see how he is behaving, how he interacts with his teacher and friends, what arts and crafts he is doing, how he plays, what he learns... I'm not asking to be there everyday, but I would love to sneak in just once, to see him in his new environment. 
The pros:
  • He is saying more words!!! The best part is, he is pronouncing some words better. Remember how he would say "na" for Sam, and "ni" for Tim? Well, after a week of being in school, he started saying Sam and Tim perfectly!! There is still no conversation, and is still complicated for anyone who is not mommy and daddy to understand him, but, I'm seeing the biggest and fastest improvement ever.
  • There is a speech therapist, a physical therapist and an occupational therapist evaluating the kids and making suggestions for parents and teachers. Patrick actually receives a one-on-one session with the PT once a week. 
  • While Patrick is in school, I get mommy and baby time. I want to make sure I give Robbie his very own time, just like Patrick had it when he was the only child. Patrick loves being around baby and me, so unless he is sleeping, I can't enjoy cuddling and playing just with Robbie, at Robbie's pace. I have to say, Robbie misses him a little.


  • I can get more things done around the house, and outside the house! It's easier doing groceries and running errands with one baby than with a baby AND a toddler! I know, mothers of 2+ children do it, but I'm still practicing!!
  • Before he started school, we would do some arts and crafts, or specific activities that would improve his fine motor skills. Now that he is in school, he gets to do that in school AND at home. Loads of practice!!
  • He is learning new things, faster. He is now starting to count, is coloring better, likes dancing and gesturing to kids tunes, and is doing all the things I tried to teach him but that he wasn't much into it. I guess that now that he does these things with a group of little people just like him, it's a lot more fun and so he wants to do it, too!
  • Patrick is interacting everyday with children with special needs. This means that his first school friends are children that are often marginalized, stigmatized and bullied by other children. But these children will be Patrick's friends, he will learn to love them, care for them and realize that the true value of one person is not in the things you can or can't do, but in your soul. We can tell and teach our kids that, but he is living it, everyday. He is witnessing first hand!
  • At first I thought that by being in a classroom with children significantly behind in their developments, would make Patrick's development slow down or at least not improve as fast as if he was interacting with kids that are ahead of him. As much as I want Patrick to be inspired by other kids and get motivated to do more things, I think is also a blessing if Patrick could be the one inspiring those kids and motivating them to walk, talk, color, sing and dance!
  • Best part is, he loves going to school. He wakes up every morning (even over the weekends!) so excited to get ready and take the "bu" (bus) to go to "coo" (school). 

Hands down, I recommend that children with special needs are enrolled in activities that stimulate their imagination and willingness to do things. There are only so many activities a week I could enroll Patrick in, mostly because specialized education is expensive and rarely covered by insurances. So I'm glad we are able to receive these services from the County at no cost (well, our taxes are paying for it!) 


I have some issues with the school system the way it is and where is heading, that I'm even considering homeschooling my children, for some of their school years (when they are not attending Catholic School). I will talk more about this later, but I can say right now that the 3 hours a day he spends interacting with children, receiving specialized attention and direction for his special needs, will go a long way in improving his developmental delays and making the difference that I can't provide at home by myself. I strongly recommend it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a question or a message!