Monday, September 28, 2015

Overcoming Sensory Processing Disorder

Can you overcome sensory processing disorder?

I hope so.

I know it will be a long process, nothing that we will magically overcome in a few weeks or even months, but instead, it will be a journey of years of learning about the way my son's body, brain and emotions operate, and finding the best ways to cope with his sensory processing challenges. He is not quite 5 years old yet, but after a few years of therapies and reading a lot about the subject, we have learned a thing or two, and I would love to share it all with you.

If you want to read about the basics on SPD (what it is, types...), please check out this post I wrote a few months ago on the subject. Also, you may check out this overview on how my son Patrick is specifically affected by SPD (you may find more than a few similarities to your child!)

My son is what in the world of SPD is called a "seeker". This means, his body is constantly looking for physical and vestibular input. He is often licking things (I know, gross!) He loves to chew on his thumbs (not baby sucking, but rather hard-chewing with his molars.) He is often pushing, hugging hard, throwing things, bumping into things. He loves running and can walk for hours. He likes performing physical work (not like I have my toddler/boy working on the yard, but he enjoys helping me vacuuming with a light vacuum and helping me carry the groceries). Enjoys clashing and splashing water like no other kid I know. He sleeps with heavy blankets. He prefers to eat with his hands. He likes to lick things (I know I said that already, but really, it's is that often and drives me that crazy!)

His auditory processing works completely in the opposite way, though. Loud, unexpected noises make him scared and even panicky. He can get a serious panic attack at the bark of a dog or the sound of a fire alarm, not often, but it has happened.

We think we are prepared for the times these will happen again in the future, however, there are times when he will experience certain triggers for the first time that will cause a panic or at the very least a meltdown. Then we will need to learn to manage these new feelings and reactions. When you finally think you have everything under control and your child is doing well for a few months, then there is something new that will remind you that this is something that can't be cured, but can only be controlled, and it will likely take you a good number of years. I'm hopeful that by the time he is a young adult he will know how to cope and respond appropriately to new situations.

But right now he is just a child. And when kids like Patrick get a 'sensory overload' it can get really rough for them, and also for the parents and the people around. In the case of 'seekers', when they get a sensory overload (public places are the most common) they begin to crave more than ever for that physical input. If there is anything around them that they can get their hands on, they will push it, or throw it, or destroy it. They may hit people, and do things that look as if the child is 'misbehaving'. As the caregiver tries to discipline the child and stop the behavior, the sensory overload gets out of control, turning into a complete meltdown for the child (and often, feelings of frustration, helplessness and failure in the parent).

SPD is really serious stuff.

But it can be fun too. At least. you can try to make it fun.

On my next post I will share with you a list of things that we have tried AND have worked. Every child is different and not everything will work for everyone, I know this because we have tried other things that didn't make it to the list simply because they didn't work on my child, even though other parents or experts on the subject raved about them.

My suggestions include things we had to buy, to things we already had but discovered a different use for them. Activities, words, foods and services - all will be explained in the next post. Stay tuned! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! My son is almost 2. He is low tone and has SPD. I am SO thankful that I stumbled across your blog! Thank you! Wondering if you ever wrote the post on things you tried and worked for Patrick's SPD??

    Thanks!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a question or a message!